Local Leagues in New Mexico
- Tax Reform & Funding – Tax reform and funding proposals are going to be a major focus of the 2019 session. Most funding proposals being discussed are ones the League has supported in the past.
Fact Sheet: Tax Reform & Funding
- Voting Rights - Automatic Voter Registration (AVR) /Same Day Voter Registration/Extend Voter Registration Period. All of these are to vehicles to facilitate voter registration.
Fact Sheet: Voting Rights
- Iowa Redistricting Model - The LWVNM is the lead organization in developing legislation that would improve the redistricting process in New Mexico. The legislation would be based upon the Iowa model. The LWV of Iowa was instrumental in passing this in Iowa in the 1970s.
Fact Sheet: Redistricting
- The State Ethics Commission ballot question has passed, but the legislature will have to pass enabling legislation. We need to assure that legislation ensures an effective Commission
Fact Sheet: Ethics
- Reproductive Rights - Make a woman’s right to choose New Mexico law – present New Mexico law makes obtaining an abortion a criminal offense. This has not been enforced because of Roe v. Wade. It is time to get this archaic law out of New Mexico statutes.
- National Popular Vote -
The League believes the National Popular Vote
(NPV) is the most practical way to guarantee that the candidate who wins
the popular vote nationwide becomes president. NPV makes every vote
count and every vote equal because the majority of Americans determine
who becomes president. The U.S. Constitution gives state legislatures
control over awarding their electoral votes.
Fact Sheet: National Popular Vote
See the individual fact sheets on each issue.