Senator Peter Wirth's "Top 10" Tips for Citizen Advocacy at the Legislature
Senator Peter Wirth's "Top 10" Tips for Citizen Advocacy at the New Mexico Legislature, Presented in true David Letterman style
10. Don't be scared of the Round House – it’s your building.
9. Understand what it takes for a bill to become law.
8. Use the tools on the Legislature's web page: www.nmlegis.gov.
7. E-mail is a great way to communicate with most legislators - but know the legislator's preference
6. A legislator's constituents are generally the best advocates.
5. Be courteous and remember your bill is one of thousands.
4. Bills usually take more than one to legislative session to pass.
3. A great place to meet legislators is on the chamber floor before or after session
2. Speak up at committee meetings.
1. Count your votes and be targeted.